What You Need to Know about Advance Planning — 9 Essential Answers
1. Why should I plan in advance?
It's the right thing to do for you and your family. Here are five important reasons to plan your funeral now:
- You'll protect your family from unnecessary pain and expense.
- You'll say good-bye in a way that uniquely reflects your personal style — not someone else's .
- You'll lessen the financial burden that may be placed on your loved ones. Payment plans are available, making it easy for you to comfortably pay for your funeral over time, at today's prices, so your family won't have to find the money later.
- You'll minimize disputes between your well-meaning relatives.
- You'll show your love in a way your family will never forget.
2. Isn't funeral planning for older people?
You might be surprised to learn that the best time to prearrange services is while you are vibrant and healthy. It allows you to make decisions with a clear head, without the pressures of illness or circumstance. Our families find that prearranging is a surprisingly positive experience that makes them feel unburdened and in control of their lives. Some view it as a matter of getting their estate in order; others see it as a sound investment.
3. How do I know my wishes will be carried out?
After meeting with one of our Advance Planning Specialists, a permanent file will be kept at the funeral home. Upon your death, the funeral director will share your detailed wishes with your family. Having this important information on file will help answer difficult questions and alleviate your family of unnecessary burden.
4. Can I make arrangements now and pay later?
Yes. It's a good idea to meet with an Advance Planning Specialist, even if you're unable to afford payment now. When payment is convenient, simply contact the funeral home to make arrangements. Affordable payment plans are available to fit all budgets.
5. How much does a funeral cost?
Due to the wide range of services and merchandise offered by our firm, it is impossible to state what a funeral will cost in general terms. One of the most satisfying peace of mind benefits of planning ahead is knowing the arrangements you make are aligned with your financial circumstances. Your Advance Planning Specialists will prepare an itemized list of costs for all services and merchandise you choose.
6. What if I'm not sure what I want?
Our Advance Planning Specialists will help you explore and understand available options. We understand that you don't do this type of planning very often. Our goal is to provide information and to let you make the decisions and selections that suit you best.
7. Does your plan cover cremation?
Yes. We especially encourage those who wish to be cremated to make their plans in advance. We understand that your decisions regarding your funeral are important to you as well as your family. Therefore, we encourage you to meet with an Advance Planning Specialist and record your wishes, so that your loved ones have a clear path to follow.
8. Can I prepay for my funeral?
Yes, there are several ways to prepay for your funeral services. We'll help you understand the options and select the method that is best for you.
9. Won't my veterans’ benefits take care of the funeral costs?
Possibly. We find that many veterans only qualify for basic benefits. Our Advance Planning Specialists are knowledgeable about veterans' programs, and can help you understand your benefits.