Butler Funeral Homes officially became a part of the New Berlin area communities upon its purchase of the McCullough-Delaney Funeral Home in 2005.
Currently known as McCullough-Delaney & Butler Funeral Home, the facility continues to provide meaningful experiences to many, building on its long history of serving the communities to the west of Springfield, including New Berlin, Curran, Berlin, Loami and Pleasant Plains. The building itself was erected in 1904 by William G. Coons, who built the residence for his bride, the former Sadie King. Following his death, Mrs. Coons sold the property to Mr. and Mrs. Zudes, who came to own the property for ten years. The property was then purchased from the Zudes in May 1947, by Mr. and Mrs. John A. McCullough.
The McCullough Funeral Home, New Berlin, was established on October 1, 1947.
Very few changes were necessary to convert the spacious residence into a funeral home.
In 1956, a two-story colonial entry porch was designed and built by E. T. “Bud” Bergschneider and his son, Richard. On May 14, 1961, the porch was completely destroyed by a tornado and was rebuilt by Earl Chandler, contractor.
In March 1952, the William Cook Jay property at Loami was purchased and became the McCullough Funeral Home, Loami. Lois and Burgher Miller faithfully and ably served as caretakers and assistants at the Loami facility. The facility was closed by Bernie Delaney in 2003. The residents of Loami then began utilizing the New Berlin location.
Bernie Delaney purchased the business from the McCullough’s in 1986. He served the community for nearly 20 years. The Delaney name was added in 2003. In September of 2005, Butler Funeral Homes purchased the organization. The facility is being renovated to update the location, as well as to better serve accessibility needs.
The Butler family is proud to be continuing the legacy of excellent service the McCullough’s and Delaney’s provided the New Berlin area communities since 1947.