Steps to Take Following a Death
We will gladly assist you in any or all of the steps to take after a death has occurred. Here is a brief guideline to follow:
- Even if death occurs out of town, please contact Kirlin-Egan & Butler Funeral Home and Cremation Tribute Center at 217-544-4646 or 1-877-724-6381 or McCullough-Delaney & Butler Funeral Home at 217-488-3535 or 1-877-724-6381
- Determine whether the deceased has left a will, a planning guide, or an advance planning arrangement
- Notify immediate family, close friends, and co-workers (if applicable)
- Make funeral arrangements including type of service, date and time, etc.
- Choose a cemetery or memorial location
- Notify pall bearers and others who may participate in the services and ceremonies
- Gather loved one’s clothing, jewelry and other personal items for service
- Plan service details including special readings, music, photo remembrances, etc.
- Choose floral arrangements
- Select a charity to receive memorial gifts (if appropriate)
- Determine type of monument or marker
- Arrange transportation
- Gather important documents to begin filing for benefits